Thursday, February 21, 2013

30 Teams in 30 Days: Texas Rangers

Does every team in Texas have to have some kind of "outlaw" related team name? Rangers, Cowboys...I'm sure the list can go on. The Rangers got booted from the playoffs in a very disappointing fashion by getting knocked out in the one game Wild Card play-in. Fun to watch as a fan from other teams, but as a fan of a team in that position, nerve-wracking. Nonetheless, there have been a few changes in the roster this year. Josh Hamilton is gone and either Leonys Martin or Craig Gentry are in CF. AJ Pierzynski is in at catcher and Lance Berkman at DH. Uberprospects Martin, Mike Olt and Jurickson Profar are ready for prime-time roles. The pitching staff has its work cut out for them. Let's take a look at the Rangers....

Starting Lineup
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Elvis Andrus
DH Lance Berkman
3B Adrian Beltre
RF Nelson Cruz
LF David Murphy
C   AJ Pierzynski
1B Mitch Moreland
CF Leonys Martin

I get Manager Ron Washington's point to lead off with Kinsler, as he's an on-base machine and can steal bases, but he's a perfect #2 and Andrus' skill set makes him a leadoff hitter. Andrus is fast, doesn't hit for power and steals bases. I would flip them, but he's the manager for a reason. I say Berkman gets the 3 hole because of his reputation and even in his late 30s, he's just a better hitter than Murphy. Beltre and Cruz take 4-5 and should lead the team in HR's. I'm a big Murphy fan, more than others - he's a solid, all-around player who is finally the undisputed LF. The Red Sox really screwed that deal up, huh? (Murphy & Kason Gabbard for Eric Gagne - Texas got that one, right?). Pierzynski should be fine in the 7 hole. I personally don't like Moreland, but hopefully Olt replaces him soon. I had Martin as a fantasy sleeper, so I put him in the lineup or Gentry, but don't be surprised if Gentry starts. I see this offense having a down year while they figure out how to replace Hamilton.

Starting Rotation
SP Yu Darvish
SP Matt Harrison
SP Derek Holland
SP Alexi Ogando
SP Martin Perez

The Rangers gave Harrison a long term deal - he, Holland and Darvish are locked up for years. Holland was really disappointing last year, probably due to his awful mustache. Harrison might get the opening day to split Darvish between the lefties. Ogando is back in the rotation, as is top prospect Martin Perez. I'm interested to see what happens when Colby Lewis gets back and what they do with Neftali Feliz in 2014. I feel like the Rangers have no plan with these young guys. Who's starting and who's staying in the pen? Make a decision! I'm not too sure what to expect out of this rotation. Tread lightly.

Bullpen
CL Joe Nathan
SU Jason Frasor
SU Josh Lindblom
SU Tanner Scheppers
SU Michael Kirkman
SU Robbie Ross

I did not include Joakim Soria as he won't be back until the summer time. I would not also be surprised if  Kyle McClellan makes the team or Evan Meek. I like who they brought in as non-roster invitees. I also love the Frasor signing - they got him dirt cheap ($1.5 million). I do not love the relative inexperience of the rest of the bullpen. Lindblom, Scheppers, Kirkman and Ross have less than 3, and mostly 1 full MLB season under their belt. It's risky, which is why I have the Rangers in a disappointing season.

3rd place. Hard to believe, I know. This team has a lot of question marks and big injury histories. It won't be a distant 3rd, as I believe 1-3 in the AL West will be within 5 games of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment